[Tango-L] Tango Diversity under one big tent: Nuevo & milonguero happy together?

melvillefox@aol.com melvillefox at aol.com
Wed May 14 00:07:53 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----

We repeatedly hear how in its evolution tango has diversified and that
we should celebrate this diversity and all forms of tango should
coexist peacefully under one big tent. Milonguero and nuevo can share
the same dance floor, maybe nuevo in the middle where there is more
space and milonguero along the outer edge. Music can be mixed, too,
with classic tango and electrotango and non-tango music all played, a
little bit of something for everyone, so that everyone can be happy.

---------------------

The way I see it, mixing tango milonguero and nuevo at a milonga is
like letting a fox (not this one) into the chicken coop.

Nuevo may have evolved from tango, but it has diverged to the point
where a child would say, "Dad, that can't be tango. That's not the way
Tio Alfredo dances it."

Nuevo just hangs around tango to prey off its base. "There's a milonga.
Let's invade it and show off. We can attract some tango students. If
they're new enough to tango, they won't know the difference. Besides,
it's more like the 'Dancing with the Stars' tango they saw on
television."

So, it's a good idea for nuevo to officially declare itself a new
dance, no longer tango.

Let it live on it's own merits and not prey on tango.

Mel Fox