[Tango-L] More Nuevo Bashing - why?

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 17:06:42 EDT 2008

Keith Elshaw wrote:
"Explain about respectfully dancing in the ronda and keeping to your own
space and not bumping and kicking - and all those good things?"

Although I would not attempt it my self, I have observed excellent and considerate
nuevo dancers execute volcadas in no more space than I require for a puente.  I watched
last week while a nuevo follow executed a low linear back boleo in less space than
my usual partner requires for her ocho-cortado.  Etc.  As far as I can tell, bad
ronda behavior is not required by nuevo tango.  And when they do go a little crazy, the
good nuevo dancers that I have seen appear to do it in the middle of the floor,
and not by a surprise pass on my outside as some of my fellow close embrace
dancers are wont to do.

Bumping and kicking is just plain rude, and I fail to see it as a one of the
requirements for dancing nuevo tango.  I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Cheers,

D. David Thorn