[Tango-L] Tango-L; Nuevo tango is not looking back

Patricia Katz pkatz at trebnet.com
Sun May 11 16:26:14 EDT 2008

There are quite a few dancers who do hear the music, can find the beat and
do dance "traditional tango" i.e. tango salon, close or open. Some of these
dancers also enjoy and do engage in "nuevo tango". It may appear that when
they are dancing "nuevo" they are not with the music or the beat even though
they are known to be competent and even lovely traditional tango dancers.
Perhaps they are experimenting with the music and taking the dance, "tango"
outside the so-called box so that it appears as if they are not dancing on
the beat or dancing with the music. I prefer tango in the close embrace and
I do find that in general this "nuevo" dancing as I see it happeing in our
milongas not beautiful, but that's only my opinion.

http://torontoargentinetango.blogspot.com