[Tango-L] community - need insight

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 02:59:17 EDT 2008

Hi Jackie,

If I were organizer A, I'd do one heck of a job promoting
my instructors for the workshop.  But I also wouldn't go
overboard and give people the feeling that their asking to
choose loyalties (it doesn't do anyone any good if the
attendees don't feel good about their choices).  Not
everyone is going to be able to make (or might be
interested in) going to the workshop.  So what would it
matter if they went to the city event instead?  The city
event could still be a great opportunity to promote future
workshops for organizer A, perhaps even getting new people
to the milonga later that night.

It's very likely that people would choose the workshop over
the city event.  For the city event, I get the impression
that all organizer B needs is to represent the tango
community.  If people feel that there is at least some
representation of tango at the free event, then  they'll
feel comfortable going to the workshop.  And of course,
out-of-towners (who tend to be the better dancers in a
community) will go to the workshop/milonga.

Here, when a promotional event happens, only a small
segment of the tango community ever goes.  Most people
aren't interested in being on display, so they won't go.
Many people are also not comfortable going up to perfect
strangers and doing a sales pitch for tango.  Those people
are not going to go to the city event.  And as long as
organzer B gets 2-6 good friendly dancers, then he/she will
be happy.  It's much better to have a small group of
quality dancers than a large number of mediocre/bad
dancers.  (That's how I would look at it as organizer B.)
Some people would also not be interested in driving to two
different places.  Those people would choose the workshop.

I'm making some assumptions, here, such as the pre-milonga
classes are normally well-attended.  I've never have much
luck with those, so I don't do them.  There'll be some loss
of attendance, but it will just be small.  Personally, I
enjoy a little competition because it makes me have to
think more sharply and more creatively than I otherwise
might.  That could create some excitement and make a better
final product.  That might not work for everyone.  Whatever
happens, be positive to the public and keep your fears to
yourself (complain only in private to a few trusted
people).  You'd want an environment of excitement and good
vibes for the workshop.

Of course, if I was organizer B, my thoughts might be a
little different.  But since you asked about A...

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/