[Tango-L] Milonga P.S. - Its evolution I

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 23:21:09 EDT 2008

Jake asks: "Not the so-called "urban milonga" Canaro introduced in 1932 with "Milonga sentimental." That's the milonga we dance to. Can anyone on this list /who has danced to the earlier kind/ (there must be a few people who have) say the two have much in common?"

What follows is my opinion on this subject, others may have a different one.

I will divide this note into two, so that it is not too long.

The "Original" milonga was born in rural areas. It was exclusively sung and had an accompaniment of guitar.

Gauchos (cowboys) gathered after work around the fire, took their guitars out and entertained themselves with a
type of rap contest, called "Payadas".   A subject was determined by the attendants, this subject could be  on philosophical matters such as God, life, death, passion, or something such as work, pain, travel, etc, etc.

Two gauchos would compete in a payada, one would sing first and the others would follow answering whatever
the first one had said.

This "Payadas" eventually evolved into two gauchos playing guitar, competing with each other, but without singing.
Then one gaucho alone would play guitar and sing.  At this point the Milonga was born.
It was called Milonga Campera (rural Milonga), or Miolonga Criolla (Creole Milonga) or Milonga Sureña )Southern
Milonga).

The name "Milonga" was given by African slaves, to this musical events . In their African language "Mulonga" means
"many, many words".  To them everything seemed to be just words. Eventually some of them became famous
payadores.

Best regards, Sergio