[Tango-L] arrastre (musical)

Bruno Afonso bafonso at gmail.com
Sat May 3 21:34:11 EDT 2008

Hello,

One should weary of musical interpretation imposition. Music is to be
interpreted by each dancer (both roles) and that is what makes them
(hopefully) unique.

A great teacher will convey the ideas and the tools to explore the
music and how certain things are commonly named (they're just that).
It will also create space for the student to do his own search and
limit boundaries to the minimum possible. It will let the student
appropriate himself of his findings and build his own notion as to
what tango music is, what makes it tango and danceable the way we love
it.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that tango music is
fundamentally by on arrastre, glissando, slur or whatever you want to
call it. Most of us know tango pieces without it. Poema comes to my
mind. Defining tango music and dancing in function of a musical
concept is kind of insulting persons that have listened, studied and
danced for years tango music. If you're composing tango music, I'd say
that it is not the first thing that comes into your mind or the first
in your priority list.

Concerning dancing to the dots on paper vs sounds, if the paper is
well made, that is, the music score sheet I assume, they will be
dancing to them on the music or not. It's up for interpretation. The
score will have - within boundaries - the info necessary to play it
syncopated or whatever.

If I am allowed to, may I suggest that everyone should dial down a bit
the fundamentalism. All things considered, there isn't a perfect
teacher, a perfect musical interpretation or concept even.

Great teachers become evident to anyone serious about tango. It takes
time but you need to go through the process.

Bruno Afonso
http://brunoafonso.com (personal, mostly portuguese)
http://openwetware.org/wiki/User:BrunoAfonso (Professional, english)