[Tango-L] Ladies Leading

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Sat May 3 21:07:57 EDT 2008

The second Tuesday there starts here in L.A. a practica hosted by CasaDePractica.com for ladies who lead.  I intend to go as a follower.

When I first saw women leading (mostly) other women I was annoyed.  It meant that TWO women were taken out of the pool of women dancers.  I was also annoyed because most of the women had all the bad qualities of beginning leaders: insensitivity to their surroundings, trying movements too advanced for them, trying fast and big movements which endangered others, and so on.

As time went by I noticed more women leading, but grew less annoyed.  As their average skill level improved they became less dangerous.  It also dawned on me that here was a chance to learn to be a follower.  I'd heard that learning to follow made (most) leaders better.

Also, in classes I'd had teachers who were really good leaders demonstrate a technique by leading me in it.  It was fun.  I didn't have to think or be responsible or anything but just float along and enjoy the music.  It took me years to get to the point where I could experience this "Zen tango" while leading and it might have taken longer if I hadn't had some meditation training.

So out of curiosity is this phenomenon, ladies leading, on the rise in other areas?  And do they lead men a lot?

Larry de Los Angeles

Looking for insurance?  Click to compare and save big.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iifSf08r7S7J1g5xO1uQ8fNnN5BiKtjXfZdaBr2hsiThnIx0m/?count=1234567890