[Tango-L] Getting educated (restated and expanded)

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Fri May 2 15:12:11 EDT 2008

I don't think my previous post on this subject was sufficiently clear.
I've refined my comments.  The bottom line is that I think it is good to
find a partner with whom to develop skills and even better to find a group
with whom to develop skills.  There just isn't enough of a payoff in some
places to develop skills on one's own.

At some point, most tango dancers choose not to improve because the effort
required isn't paid back with a sufficient improvement in the quality of
the dance experience.  In a partner dance, such as tango, the tango skills
of one's potential partners can greatly influence how much improving one's
own skills improves the dance experience.  Improving one's own skills
doesn't do much good if one's potential dance partners have mediocre
skills.

The required complementarity of skills in dance partners can lead to a
situation in which an entire community remains mired in mediocrity, even
though many individual dancers may want to improve their skills.  In such
communities, where improving beyond the mediocre level is unnecessary to
participate, individuals have little incentive to improve their skills.
The quality of their own dance experience won't increase appreciably and
may reduce the number of potential partners with whom it is enjoyable to
dance.  Moreover, the better-skilled dancers may also find it difficult to
keep their skills honed while dancing in a community dominated by mediocre
dancers.

In such a community, a strong personal drive to excel is necessary to
launch the person well beyond where their own community stands.  But tango
is a partner dance, and it is better to find at least one partner who is
willing to work together toward the same goals of excellent dancing--by
taking some private lessons and practicing a lot.  But even if the couple
succeeds in developing their skills dramatically, they find themselves
mired in a community of mediocre dancers.

Perhaps a better idea is to form a small practice group of both men and
women, in which all the other people have similar goals and are willing to
work.  The group might want to consider organizing lessons for themselves
and attending workshops in other cities as a group, etc.   Most
importantly, everyone in the group must make a committment to developing a
high level of excellence in tango.  Once the group has succeeded and
begins attending milongas in the community, everyone in the group will
have more potential partners at the milongas.  Moreover, the group may act
as a seed for better dancing in the entire community.

With best regards,
Steve (de Tejas)