[Tango-L] Certification vs. Qualifications

Jake Spatz spatz at tangoDC.com
Thu May 1 16:23:32 EDT 2008

People,

"Teacher certification" is one of the things that teachers sell to other
people who want to teach. Like any other degree or certificate (PhDs
included), it only denotes that you've paid for it and shown up. The
only reason to get one is to qualify for hire at a business that
requires it. (Schools are often such a business.)

Otherwise, "teacher certification" is purely a vanity credential.
There's a market for that sort of thing.

---
I've withheld putting this anywhere in public, because I don't want to
embarrass anyone who doesn't measure up. But since the topic has arisen,
let me stick my neck out and offer my own /personal/ "minimum
qualifications" for a tango teacher. Perhaps it will challenge someone
to improve, or at least equip some students with a little common sense
(common sense so often being the first casualty).

* MINIMUM Qualifications for a Tango Teacher *
    -- Proficiency dancing either role (with style)
    -- Proficiency dancing different embraces (open, close, salon, whatever)
    -- Proficiency dancing tango, vals, and milonga
    -- Understanding of what the word "arrastre" means (in the music)
    -- Invitations to teach (i.e., rather than self-marketing)
    -- /At least five/ CDs of tango music recorded prior to Black Sabbath

The first 4 of these are purely a skill set. The 5th gets into ethics &
/credibility/, the 6th should need no explanation.

There are many teachers who meet this minimum standard, and they're the
ones I respect. There are many more who don't come anywhere close, and I
personally don't consider them qualified to teach the dance. I would
never refer my own students to anyone in this second bunch.

I hardly think my personal requirements are strict.

---
The question arises: Why are there so many unqualified teachers?

1. Young communities are built up on the enthusiasm of a small group,
and they work with what they've got. Often I see that the /de facto/
teachers in such places (i.e., the grass-roots organizers) are very
modest about what they do, and even deny themselves the "title" of
teacher. No harm there: these folks deserve a pat on the back, in my
opinion. Until--

2. Teachers often use assistants, and then these assistants get it into
their heads that, because they've "taught" a little, they're entitled to
teach on their own. These dancers, I notice, seldom meet my first /and
most important/ requirement of proficiency in either role.

3. Talented dancers sometimes perform, and think that if you can perform
you can teach. I don't know why they think that, but they do; and this
delusion (a conflation of very distinct areas in the arts) accounts for
most of the poor teachers in any artistic discipline.
    Regarding tango in particular, performing & teaching perhaps get
conflated because so many teachers do end-of-class demos. I personally
think such demos are worthless, unless the teacher (singular) does them
with every student there, for /that/ student and not for an audience.
(This should be going on /during/ a good class though, and it
/partially/ explains why I think "proficiency in either role" is the
foremost qualification.)

Jake