[Tango-L] That awfully insulting metaphor

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 22:05:58 EDT 2008

Floyd Baker wrote:
 > A Maestro and Strad pairing is something many many people in the world
 > want to see and hear more of.   It's a wonderful combination of
 > harmony, co-operation and dedication....  Now if I had used bulldozer
 > and dirt, you'd have a reason to be upset, eh?   ;-/

Actually, there are quite a few violin maestros who get very annoyed by
the Stradivarius legend. In truth, there are violins being made today
that are just as good as a Strad, and it's frankly insulting to the
maestros when they hear people say "of course he sounds good, he has a
Strad". No one can actually tell the difference between a Strad and a
well-made copy.

In the end, a Stradivarius is simply a passive instrument, and your
metaphor suffers as a result. Perhaps you might consider using conductor
and orchestra as a better one?

--
Myk Dowling