[Tango-L] The subject that never dies.

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Mon Mar 31 00:04:25 EDT 2008

Floyd,

I don't understand this. Just this weekend, I was teaching a group the
right-side walk in crossed feet. 1. Man LF side, 2. RF close and 3. LF fwd
outside partner. The lady does 1. RF side, 2. LF close without weight,
and 3. LF back. If, on 4. I then walk straight forward my RF will be in line
with the ladies RF and we can continue with 5. LF fwd and to walk for as
long as we want. However, if on 4. or any other RF fwd step, I step
forward with my RF in front of my LF, I will lead the lady to the cross
and transfer weight on 5.

There should be nothing automatic about the cross. The man leads the
lady to cross when he wants her to cross. The problem arises when the
man gives mixed signals such as leaving her space for the cross but then
not giving a definite lead to the cross. She might then be unsure about
whether to cross or not. Depending on her training and experience in
that situation some ladies will cross while others won't. If she chooses
the option the man didn't intend, it's the man's fault, as always :-).

Keith, HK

 On Fri Mar 28 23:52 , Floyd Baker  sent:

  The 'auto' cross therefore flys in the face