[Tango-L] who invented the basic step

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:39:33 EDT 2008

 > Who invented the basic step?

Daniel Trenner speculatively credited Raul Bravo and Antonio Todaro
for defining (and disseminating) the salida that begins with a back
step, if that's the "basic" that we're talking about.

See: http://www.neadance.org/daniel/ar_basic.html

<excerpt>

"So, why the step backwards to get the salida going in all these basic
steps for export, you ask?
The closest answer I can come up with is the Antonio Todaro/Raul Bravo
school of stage dancing, which has had by far the biggest influence on
modern stage dancing. Todaro and Bravo had a tango school in Flores
for sixteen years in the 60's and 70's.

Anyway, these guys used to teach private lessons in houses that had
small rooms, all the steps being turned in on themselves for the small
space, later to be stretched out on the stage. They used the same
first five parallel steps that we now call the "basic" (the leader
opposite; the front-side-back-back-cross of the follower) to get
themselves from the side of the room, where I guess one always starts
because it is after all the side of the dance floor, to the center
where they would begin the turning figure that was the focus of the
lesson.

This prep step, kind of breath step to get you going into the figure,
seems to have been adopted as a basic step by the stage dance
community, who turned out to be the first ones to teach outside of
Argentina. So it had become almost universal by the time this innocent
arrived back in the first world from his recuperation in Buenos Aires."

Another influential school was that of Copes.

Copes counts the "salida simple" as 1 - prepare, 2 - mans' side left.
[ ... ] 5 - crusada.

Gavito used to use this way of counting, so that the first step of the
salida was numbered "2", or "the two".