[Tango-L] The subject that never dies.

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Tue Mar 25 15:07:50 EDT 2008

 Nancy wrote:
<<<<All I know about that is  the Dinzels came through the
US in about 1994, hitting ballroom studios all over,
teaching their 'System' which used the eight count
basic and a theory of axis.  It included the DBS and
lots of ganchos, barridas, sacadas, sandwiches, etc -
all the usual stuff we see being done by first year
dancers.  It was open embrace.  Not surprising since
the Dinzels were in the original "Tango Argentino"
production that traveled the world in 1983-6. >>>>>

Eight-count, six-count or whatever was around many years before the Dinzels,
whether open- or close-embrace.   They have little, if anything, to do with
that, nor does Daniel Trenner.   Besides, Danel and Maria were teaching it while
touring with "Tango Argentino" as their resident teachers, and it was around
long before them as well. Nobody invented it, it evolved.
As Keith pointed out, the origin of the cross is another story. That came
along later in tango history, maybe in the fifties, but the fundamentals of the
tango step were in place years ago.
Why is the eight-count basic such an issue anyway? Either some teachers are
really teaching tango badly or someone is missing the point about what a
foundation is.

Charles