[Tango-L] Who invented the basic step?

Njål Bendixen njaal at operamail.com
Thu Mar 20 17:17:54 EDT 2008

Hi List

I have just joined the list, and this is my first post. I am a tango teacher, and I teach in Nottingham and Derby, UK.

I have a question that I have been thinking about for some time:

Who invented the basic step, and when?

We all know the basic step. Some use it, and some hate it. Some think it is the very foundation of the tango, and some think that it is the worst thing to have happened to the tango after the coup of '55.

Whatever anyone thinks someone must have invented it, and that must have happened at a specific point in time. I personally feel that I must know this before I can really make up my mind as to what to think about the basic step myself. Perhaps no one knows for sure who invented the basic step, and when. However any historical reference would be greatly appreciated.

Njaal Bendixen

Njaal Bendixen
njaal at operamail.com