[Tango-L] the Contra Body movements on YouTube

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 08:05:27 EDT 2008

Hi Mario,

If you've found these videos helpful to you, that's great.
Personally, I thought he tended to move as a block and did
not spiral his spine enough to show good contrabody.
Perhaps it's just the way the camera shot it.  Not being a
big YouTube viewer, I'm sorry I couldn't find anything
clearer for you specifically for leading.  But videos of
any of the really good tangueros show what it should look
like.

A couple of pointers for you.

- Spinal movements start with the head (one of the things I
didn't see much in the few videos I watched).

- In one video of a turn (I think it was the one you
linked), he mentions keeping the hips still.  In actuality,
for contra-body, one needs to turn the hips in the opposite
direction of the chest to keep the hips "still".  Try it
both ways (once actively turning the hips away and once not
doing so) and you'll see what I mean.  I'm assuming he
might have talked about it in one of his videos and just
didn't mention it for lack of time.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is 28 short videos by Carlos Escuena showing the
> sophisticated/subtle moves
>   of the contra body during the Lead.   This is the only
> ones treating this subject that
>   I've been able to find... they are well worth
> watching.. do you know of any others?
>
>   http://www.youtube.com/user/carlosesquena

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/