[Tango-L] Use and Abuse of Tandas

tangosmith@cox.net tangosmith at cox.net
Wed Mar 19 09:09:44 EDT 2008

Steve,

You wrote:
>From the dancers' perspective, the success of this strategy depends
critically on the dj playing well-constructed tandas throughout the night.

Absolutely.  And I would go further to say that the ability of a dj to
choose an appropriate sequence is just as critical, if not more so, at
non-tango dances where tandas are not used to avoid either disrupting the
energy or sounding "willy-nilly."

For the record, I'm not necessarily advocating doing away with tandas.  I
am asking if there could be alternatives or modifications that might make
milongas more "friendly," particularly for beginners.  Perhaps one
alternative might be to play either singles or 2 song tandas early in the
evening when beginners are more likely to be present, then progress to
longer tandas as the evening progresses and the more experienced dancers
take the floor.  DJ's would have to be aware that their successive choices
in single or short tandas would be just as critical as constructing a full
tanda.

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web