[Tango-L] followers expressiveness

Tango For Her tangopeer at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 08:37:15 EDT 2008

--- Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> wrote:

> Jackie:
> You are writing about the confluence of technique,
> musicality, and emotion. I'm skipping technique.
>
> First, musicality. My teacher helped me think
> outside the box. He put on music, and said "Now
> dance, ALONE!" The first time I danced like a
> leader. Then he said, "Next time, dance like a
> follower."  The third time, he said "Now interchange
> between lead and follower's roles." The next time he
> said "Do an ocho and go the other way. Don't worry
> about line of dance. You're the only one dancing in
> your house." I was leading myself. Because I was
> dancing alone, there was no partner to worry about.
> Followers need to hear the music for themselves, so
> they should practice by themselves. Now, they can't
> say "the leader rushed me or didn't give me a change
> for an adornment."

I do this, at home, with the shades drawn.  I think
through leads and I study follower's technique.  I
like to practice to Jackson Browne because it makes me
dance tight, small follower's technique like what
would occur in close embrace.  And, that helps my
leading ability greatly.

As for applying this to teach followers about adding
musicality to the exchange ... I hadn't thought of
that.  I suppose that dancing different size steps
with different feels, alone, would be a great
exercise.

I had teachers lead us through the type of exercises
that Michael wrote about.  It was very, very helpful.