[Tango-L] followers expressiveness

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Mar 18 12:30:59 EDT 2008

I've always felt that the follower's role teaches technique at first,
while the leader's role teaches musicality. One disadvantage of the
follower's role, is the emphasis on being adaptive and doing nothing
more that what is lead. This can make it harder to discover a voice,
and the spaces where the follower contributes.

Learning to lead can help follower's learn how to "impose musicality"
on the dance, find a stronger voice, as well as discover what other
follower's feel like.

It takes an experienced follower (and leader!) to realize that the
follower isn't just an obedient puppet.

One of the discoveries when you dance with women in Argentina is that
they are oh-so-adaptive, yet oh-so-alive. The "just following" is a
myth at the higher level, at least in close-embrace.