[Tango-L] followers expressiveness

jackie ling wong jackie.wong at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 18 08:52:23 EDT 2008

as most people on this list know, i lead and i follow.  i have been
told that one of my best qualities as a dancer is my ability to
express myself musically.  to quote someone... "you dance the music".
this is not through only embellishments.

now, i have led many followers... and there are followers who just
follow which is nice and then there are followers who dance with
you....  who dance melodically... and hear the notes that are
emphasized and can translate that to their dance.  it feels like they
are reading my mind because my expression in the dance becomes so
easy.  her/his boleo considers not only the time of the movement but
the energy, how the beat is used (emphasized at the beg. of the
beat...etc)...  it feels like painting.

i probably am not expressing this correctly and please don't give me
grief for that.  in fact, if someone can express it better, i would
love to hear it.

my question...  how do you teach this?  is there an exercise that can
help people understand what i am saying?

thanks
jackie