[Tango-L] There is only tango...

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 17 16:06:28 EDT 2008

Charles:
In the spirit of full disclosure I have to admit that I have never been to BsAs and that _all_ of my knowledge is second hand.   Also, since Meredith lives, dances and teaches there, and apparently (based on previous posts) dances in a wide variety of situations, I was placing more weight on her words than on those of mere visitors to BsAs.  I was even placing more weight on her words than on those of other BsAs residents whose sole focus appears to be only on the close embrace style and on the Milongas that are exclusively close embrace.

>From Meredith's postings, and from having spent time understanding Andres' background ( andresamarilla.com ), I assume that Meredith has a fairly good and broad understanding of the entire BsAs tango world.  In particular, I would need significantly more evidence than I have seen to believe that the under 40 year-old dancers, and especially the under 30 y.o. dancers,  do not dance open / nuevo when a particular Milonga's etiquette permits.  And her posts seem to indicate that at some Milongas, etiquette does so permit.

The result is that I am very sceptical of such blanket remarks as:

"Forms of tango where the embrace is opened, often classified as 'tango
fantasia' or 'tango nuevo' are reserved for the stage or for
exhibitions at some milongas."

But I certainly could be (and often am) wrong.

Cheers,

D. David Thorn