[Tango-L] NYT article...

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Tue Mar 18 14:16:21 EDT 2008

and they mentioned my blog. (As of this writing more than 3500 hits in
2.5 days!)  I know it is difficult for many people who have never been
here before, but tango is not a regular part of Argentine life.  Few
Argentines compared to the general population actually dance.  You are
looking at an area population of 12 million people and a tango community
of about 5,000.  Buenos Aires has long been known for its art scene and
young clothing designers.

While the previous government in the Capital Federal promoted tango for
tourism, the current government of Macri will not.  The arts will
continued to be promoted because the government feels that art and
culture benefit the population as a whole.  Before you get too upset
about this, those of us who live and dance here support this.  Why?
Because in supporting tango, the government was promoting tango in a way
that was an abuse to the foreign population who come here to dance.

There were government sponsored seminars teaching businesses how to best
get that foreign dollar.  Everything went up in price - more than
inflationary raises.  Teachers went from charging 100 - 150 pesos a
lesson to 250 - 350 pesos.  The rational is that is what is paid in the
U.S. or Europe, so why not here?  I was asked by a dancer to teach with
him.  He wanted us to charge $200 USD for privates.  I declined.  I
don't abuse my own people.  While most of the milongas were charging 10
- 12 pesos to enter a year ago, there were some that stopped catering to
the locals, and went after the cruise ship business, hotel guests -
non-dancers, and charged 20 pesos to hear a live orchestra for 30
minutes.  Poorly made tango shoes made with cardboard filler are now
costing $280 - $300 pesos.  The biggest abuse?  The campeonato mundial
where people paid a fortune to compete.  The promoter is now bringing
the International Ballroom competition here.  That should say it all.

These crazy abusive prices along with inflation had one of my Argentine
friends commenting to me: One day the milongas will be all foreigners
because none of us will be able to afford to come to a milonga.

So while I can appreciate that the people on this list think of Buenos
Aires only in the concept of tango, this is a city with far more to
offer than just tango.  Or I would not live here.