[Tango-L] Origin of Tandas

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Fri Mar 14 14:16:38 EDT 2008

>>I recently attended two milongas in Buenos Aires with "Los Reyes del
Tango" playing live - not the whole evening but they played for about two
hours in total...  And while they played, there were no tandas, they just
played streight through with one large break during which two or three
CD-powered tandas were danced.... BTW, Los Reyes played just one milonga
in the whole set, from what I can remember. <<

In my experience, live tango orchestras never/rarely use tandas to play
for milongas.  That is a construct for milongas with recorded music.

In addition, it is not at all unusual for a live tango orchestra to play a
program for a milonga that does not strike the same balance of tangos,
milongas and valses that djs use for milongas.  It is typically up to the
dj who plays music during the breaks to rebalance the overall program by
playing music that complements what the orchestra has played.

Steve (de Tejas)