[Tango-L] Origin of Tandas

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 07:24:19 EDT 2008

This may be of interest. I recently attended two milongas in Buenos Aires with "Los Reyes del Tango" playing live - not the whole evening but they played for about two hours in total (it was great, by the way - their live performance is much, much better than their CDs). And while they played, there were no tandas, they just played streight through with one large break during which two or three CD-powered tandas were danced.

While I loved dancing to (good) live music, I prefer tanda system especially where I am new and do no know the dancers in which case I usually ask to dance the last song of the tanda whereby we both do not have to suffer through more than one song if things just do not work for us.

BTW, Los Reyes played just one milonga in the whole set, from what I can remember.