[Tango-L] tall men in close embrace

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 11:57:09 EDT 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
> It is very difficult for many women to dance comfortably while being held in the small of the back, particularly if the lead pulls his arm in towards himself.

When dancing with any woman in chest-to-chest embrace, it is very important for me to have full contact with my right arm, not to control but to sense my partner's movement better (there are those miniature muscle movements in your back which indicate even more what is happening than what the frontal contact can do on its own). I desire to envelope my partner's upper back as much as it is comfortable and possible given our relative body configurations.

When there is a big height difference (I am taller), it is not physically possible for me to achieve that contact with my right hand high up in the immediate vicinity of my partner's right shoulder blade or on it, so, out of necessity I move it lower to wherever it needs to go to achieve as much comfortable contact as possible. But, I still do not apply any pressure, so I really do not "hold" my partner, but rather follow her back with my arm in order to achieve a full contact sensation.

Also, if a woman is very slender, another necessity dictates me to lower my hand and arm -- lest I violate, what is usually considered an area reserved for personal, intimate hand contact only, I am sure you know what I mean.

...dubravko

seek, appreciate, and create beauty
this life is not a rehearsal