[Tango-L] tall men in close embrace

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Mon Mar 10 17:56:29 EDT 2008

They (both leader and follower) have to rearrange their concept of leg
length.

Both leader and follower have the SAME leg length, if you measure
length from the connection point, i.e. the tummy or solar plexus or
wherever it is. In other words, the leg actually goes up into the
tummy. It is as simple as just thinking about it differently.

Also, it hurts if the followers "reach back", instead they need to
"stretch downward", and let the legs pass by more slowly, like a
pendululm. Long strides come from the supporting leg, not the moving
leg.

Also, the leader has to maintain posture with hips and body forward.
The moment the leader tries to compensate for her "short" legs by
holding his hip backward, the partners lose the connection.

Finally, the leader's and follower's legs may "almost brush" at the
thighs (and tummy, if need be). This keeps legs more synchronized in
their movements. Actually touching thighs may feel trapped, but almost
brushing feels nestled.