[Tango-L] tango in brothels

Tony tony at oakebooks.com
Fri Mar 7 18:57:09 EST 2008

romerob at telusplanet.net wrote:

> More about tango in brothels by Christine Denniston:
> http://www.history-of-tango.com/tango-origins.html
>

>> There is a cliché that Tango was born in the brothels of Buenos Aires<
>>

> My 2 cents:
> Since the author claims there was no written proof by the members of the
> literary class to confirm that tango was not born in the brothels, she turns
> around and builds a case for indicating that this was not true. The author when
> runs out of evidence tries to present a logical explanation, but based on
> current practicing social mores and morals...

CD talks, in her book, about Tango music at brothels (similar story to
Jazz),  and that "Gentlemen of letters" would only mix with working
classes there, and for the first time (for them), see their dance. This
is not to say it was born in brothels. I found her explanation plausible
and free from moral prejudice. The way CD discusses history / Tango in
general does not suggest to me she's white-washing, actually I find her
writing style has a broad perspective.

It's the best answer I've seen to the question: why would someone go to
a brothel, and... dance?

It's a fascinating part of the Tango mythos, and I'd welcome any more
information on this that anyone has.

Cheers
Tony