[Tango-L] Argentine Tango Dancer Census: Increasing, Decreasing or Dividing?

Felix Delgado felixydelgado at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 6 17:41:13 EST 2008

> It's really difficult, because things have been in a constant state of
> change for the last three years. Old-timers who can really dance don't
> show-up any more. Big events don't happen like they used to. The scene has
> too much going-on, meaning mostly everyone's numbers are sort-of down
> over-all week-by-week.
>
> So, we all know that there are more people than ever in the scene. But no
> one has numbers to show it.

> It is possible to go to a place and not know many people there (I am one
> of the ones who hasn't been going around much since things have changed.
> If the good dancers aren't going out, there isn't incentive for me to go
> out. We are all in the same boat).

Are tango numbers really increasing?

I live near an old and large tango community. I started dancing about 7 years ago.

I was out of the country for 2 years until about a year ago. When I came back,
attendance at tango events (milongas, weekly classes, workshops) was way down.
Of course, there are about 4 times as many instructors, 5 times as many milongas,
and 2-3 times as many workshops as when I started.

One troubling sign is that many of the the dancers who were there when I started
are gone. Even after leaving the tango scene for 2 years, when I came back, I
hardly recognized anyone.

I have heard similar things about other tango communities (in the USA).

Are tango numbers actually decreasing?

One description I've heard is that people aren't staying with tango as long as they used to.
Many communities are constantly recruiting beginners.

Or maybe tango communities are just splitting into little subgroups organized by different
instructors.

I don't know. But the large tango crowds seem to be less frequent.

This is not healthy for the future of tango.

Felix