[Tango-L] Get real

Anton Stanley antonst at alidas.com.au
Thu Mar 6 17:38:59 EST 2008

Jake,

Your quite right. I did unintentionally use interpretive instead of
improvisational.
On an esoteric level I also agree with your claim that ballroom is not
improvisational. But I believe it's really splitting hairs. Like trying
to ascertain whether every step of a mollinette is lead or is a pattern.
My post was intended to offer a counterpoint to the notion put in other
posts, that ballroom is a series of choreographed patterns without room
for any spontaneous selection of steps. At least that's how I
interpreted them. And from my observations at  Milongas and confirmed by
many followers, a lot of leaders will lead a series of patterns with
which they have become comfortable. Sadly I include myself amongst them.
I have been told by followers that they can fairly well predict the
steps and patterns they will be lead by many of the leaders with whom
they're familiar. I guess calling it choreographed improvisation
wouldn't be too far off the mark.

Anton