[Tango-L] Arg. Tango and Ballroom tango

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 08:39:22 EST 2008

Many of the descriptions of the differences between the two dances are
correct (although some of the more spiritual reasons can be argued on both sides)
but there is one very real technical and physical difference in the actual
execution. Danel and other teachers over the years others have explained it this
way and even ballroom dancers have acknowledged this distinction, and it is the
major difference in the way the two dances look when performed or danced
socially.   I have also studied some ballroom and my mother taught ballroom when I
was young and we talked about this once.   In ballroom one is taught to
develop lightness and lift when dancing or stepping and often there is slight rise
and fall in the movements.
Tango does the opposite in that it walks onto and into the floor and the
actual body dynamic is one of downward pressure and maintaining a level, without
the lift in the step.

So although it sounds a little poetic and flowery, it is, kineticly speaking,
true: Ballroom dancers dance up into the air, Argentine Tango dancers dance
into the earth.

Cheers,
Charles