[Tango-L] Argentine Tango Dancer Census

Alex alex at tangofuego.us
Wed Mar 5 16:02:19 EST 2008

My favorite subject! A buddy and I (will mostly "I") used to talk about this
a lot.

If you narrow the search to people who are passionate about it, perhaps
obsessed by it, dance (or take classes) every week or at least once or twice
a month...

I will start in the U.S...

Take Denver...I would estimate 200-300 dancers there that fit this
"passionate" category ...although this figure might be high...

Let's use 200 for the "average" large city...

Here's a rough table...

Denver	200
Seattle	500
Portland	500
San Francisco	500
Los Angeles	200
San Diego	100
Phoenix/Tuscon	100
Austin	50
Dallas	50
Houston	50
Chicago	100
St. Louis	50
Baton Rouge/New Orleans	50
Birmingham	50
Atlanta	100
Miami	200
Ann Arbor	100
New York	200
Boston	200
Small towns x 50 states	500
"Passionate" Total	3800
Round up....	5000

5000 in the U.S. means about 100 people for each of the 50 states...or more
like 250 people in 20 states...which sounds about right...

Now remember, this is the "passionate" group that is jonesing for tango
every week...

I would guess there are another 5000 that are playing with tango...taking
classes...going away...coming back...maybe or maybe not going to milongas...

So, let's say 10,000 total in the U.S. (snapshot right now) are dancing
tango in some way/shape/form.

Would it be accurate to say the same for the entirety of Europe and Asia?

20,000 so far...

Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Isla de Pantelleria, etc...everything else
we are missing... add 5k...up to 25000...

South America...outside of Argentina...say what...2000?...27000

And the big question...Argentina and Buenos Aires...at least 10000?

Less? 5000? Same as the U.S.?

32000?

Just a really rough estimate SWAG...my buddy and I always guessed 30,000 to
50,000 world wide have some exposure to Argentine Tango...perhaps it's more
like 20,000-30,000...

I would say you are looking at 5000-10000 who are passionate about
it...dancing every week...

This would be my guess....?

Not very many in the scheme of things...but that's the way we want it,
right?