[Tango-L] Why Tango?

Douglas Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:23:42 EST 2008

Bob - To my mind, you have asked an excellent question.

Why I dance Tango:
    Extraordinarily expressive dance with many interpretive opportunities.
    Enormous vocabulary, which also enhances musical interpretive opportunities.
    The challenges - both physical and mental, both for myself and for a partner interested and willing to take on the challenges.
    The interactive opportunities that I have with my partner.

I think the not whys are also important in understanding the debates on Tango-L
I do not dance Tango because:
   I want to be Argentine or preserve the Argentine culture.
   I need a hug.  I get that at home just fine.
   I need a 10 minute connection with a stranger.  No, I don't.
   I am looking for a girlfriend.  No am not.  I have one who also happens to be an excellent Tango dancer.
   I want to dance with a few hundred other people on a crowded floor.  Although sometimes necessary, it is certainly not an attraction to me.

D. David Thorn