[Tango-L] Why Tango?

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Wed Mar 5 05:43:31 EST 2008

On 2008-03-05 00:50-0500, rhink2 at netscape.net wrote:
> I have a question for the forum: why do you tango?
>
> My reason for asking this question, besides mere curiosity, is that
> there are perhaps as many reasons why individuals adopt A. tango as
> there preferred dance as there are tango styles that are dogmatically
> justified and defended almost daily on this list.  I suspect that these
> strong reactions come from personal reasons. I would like to know what
> they are.
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> Bob

Unusual story, in 2006 I directed and coached London's first womens rollerderby team "LRG" (http://www.londonrollergirls.com).
Rollerderby to Tango is not a normal progression but after "LRG" I actually wanted to be on the other side and be coached myself.

I originally wanted to do Flamenco as I loved the footwork and control; and I had zero knowledge or exposure to Tango (other then the rose and "La Cumprasita.") I had to work late the day I was to start Flamenco and I can't really remember why but ended up finding Leandro Palou's Tango school on the net. After seeing Leandro and his partner Romina Godoy dance together I was blown away as I had never seen anything so beautiful and connected, I was hooked and began studying with them straight away.
Since then and for the last 8 months I have been studying with David Benitez and Kim Schwarts.

After that very lengthy intro, the reasons I dance Tango...

. The physical training; body control, posture, grace and self confidence
. The fact that it is truly difficult to master
. That mysterious connection
. The women, and how beautiful Tango makes you all look
. The hope of meeting my future wife and being able spend our lives learning and dancing Tango together
  (This I LOVE about Tango, that it matures the older one gets, it is a lifetime of learning and growing)
. Being part of a community of very passionate people
. The strange world that surrounds Tango which causes all manner of weirdnesses
. The music!

'Mash
London,UK