[Tango-L] Digital Video Cameras

Oleh Kovalchuke tangospring at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 16:47:10 EST 2008

I use Canon ZR500 MiniDV camera, Firewire cable+card to upload movies
from the tape to my laptop and then to YouTube.
Cheap camera, push-button operation, low light sensitivity is good
enough, colors are slightly off.

Here is an example of the output in the very dark settings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlip2ty4F24

With the usual artificial light:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ZZU5fck44

At night outdoor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ZclZgzi-E

At day light:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSqMGQGE04

If you are not familiar with movie editing, use free Windows Movie
Maker (it comes with Windows) to upload movies to computer and to edit
them - the setup and presets are simple enough. You will be limited to
saving WMA files, which can be uploaded directly to YouTube. Bonus: it
is very easy to limit the file size, when you save edited movie in the
Movie Maker--YouTube does not take files larger than 100 MB.

--
Oleh Kovalchuke
http://www.tangospring.com/

I am seeking advice on the correct digital video
camera to purchase for videoing my dance sessions.

I want a video camera that is:

- lower cost
- easy to setup (attach a tripod, etc)
- works well with less light as is usually the case in
dance studios.
- easy to transfer videos to dvd or to youtube.

What specs should I be looking for?
Any suggestions on certain brands/models?