[Tango-L] Tango styles and labeling

Anton Stanley antonst at alidas.com.au
Sat Mar 1 18:53:12 EST 2008

I would like the assistance of list members to help me become a Tango
pacifist. But first I need to understand why we don't include "Tango"
which most of us in the tango community label Ballroom Tango, on our
list of tango styles. We have "Argentine Tango", "Traditional or
Classic" and of course "Nuevo". Why is the Tango danced in ballrooms
around the world not included by us. Is it too different? Is it not
tango? Or is it simply too controlled? Which one is Tango? Are they all
tango. Is Ballroom Tango too Nuevo? Or not Nuevo enough? If Nuevo Tango
is tango evolution why retain the classic tango? For what purpose? Can
dance and culture be severed? Should it be? Why? Should Classic Tango
reflect the culture and tastes of today's Buenos Aires? Should we then
call it Nuevo? Or is today's Nuevo Tango such a reflection?  Or is tango
simply a reflection of individuals' taste. Maybe my best course is
simply to assume the posture of what's it matter anyway? Better stop
before I infringe list rules on brevity. I assure the list I take these
questions seriously and am not trying to be a S.... A... as anyone that
knows me will tell you.

Anton