[Tango-L] Villa Urquiza, et al

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Mon Jun 30 13:07:59 EDT 2008

I would have to concur with Ron.  I find it almost laughable that people
who have never been to Buenos Aires tout themselves as teaching the
Villa Urquiza style of tango.  This form of tango, along with orillero
is almost never danced anymore.  I learned to dance Villa Urquiza from
Pocho who is 84 years old.  It is very demanding on the woman.  I have
seen variations of Villa Urquiza in some of the milongas, and always
danced by people who are older than 70.  It is not taught here.
Probably never was except by uncles or brothers or cousins.

Orillero is a form of tango that was danced in Villa Devoto.  Mimi
taught me a variation of the dance for an exhibition we did when she
visited San Francisco when I still lived there.  Orillero is the one
form of tango where the woman mimics the steps of the man.  The back
step cross is very distinct and I use it in some of my steps. Like Villa
Urquiza it is not taught.  You see it danced in shows but never in the
milongas.

Tango never became big business until the crisis hit here in 2001.  In
2003 the government saw tango as an opportunity to promote tourism.
There were seminars presented by the government to the tango business
community on how to maximize their business.  Overnight everyone became
a teacher, a shoe store, a clothing store, a specialized hotel, tour
agency for tango.  Prices went through the sky.  After all, why should
people pay less just because it was Buenos Aires.  A pair of tango shoes
now costs upwards of $90.

Now that we have so many "new" tango teachers everyone needs an angle.
It is no longer enough to say that you are from Argentina.  So now
people say they teach "Villa Urquiza", "Estilo Amagro", "Milonguero" or
whatever else sounds good.  People who have been dancing less than 2
years now have ads in the local magazines as teachers and taxi dancers.
It is horrifying.  These people are the ones who are teaching and
traveling.  A brother sister duo who have a huge bankroll for full color
page ads have danced less than 2 years.  A friend of mine and Sandra's
who is a taxi dancer who cannot dance is currently teaching in Germany
for 4 months.  It is pretty crazy.

Then there is those of us who are so far removed from this scene.  We go
to the milongas to dance and see our friends.  I never look out at the
floor and think "Wow, he is dancing apilado"  or "I want to dance with
that guy who dances estilo Amagro."  No, instead it is more like, "I
want to dance with El boracho, but he wont give me the time of day."  or
"Que hermoso este tango, quien puede bailar conmigo."  (How beautiful
this tango, who can dance with me)  I don't ever recall my friends here
in Argentine lamenting about styles or names of styles ever.  They may
watch a certain couple and comment on their dance (Que elegante o que
disastre). For us tango is always about the music.

Database version: 5.10150e
http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor/