[Tango-L] Estilo Villa Urquiza

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 30 00:20:42 EDT 2008

What is Villa Urquiza? See http://nastynest.blogspot.com/2007/11/villa-urquiza-tango-style.html

The Villa urquiza Style, uses an elastic embrace. Usually close, but it may have variable light if required to do certain figures. It is danced in an elegant way,
with long steps, most dancers step toe first but many step heel first, and some step in both ways. Everybody walks close to the floor.

It is an style that adapts itself to social dancing or to exhibition or stage because uses all the elements that tango offers. Boleos, Amagues, sacadas, calesitas, cuchillas, dibujos, rulos, enrosques, saltos, chilenas, puentes, traspie, contrapaso, mordida, agujas, picadas, cambios, etc, etc,.

The dance is adjusted to the partner, the music, the place, the available space, the mood of the moment. The skill and the age of the dancers.

Here you have some samples of simple dancing and also more elaborated dancing in villa Urquiza.

Villa Urquiza Style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7HmCGjYRYE

Gerardo Portalea y Susana http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pORg6wxeV6Q&feature=related

Mariano y Cosima http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqovx7d2nfs&feature=related

Roberto Leiva y maricel Gomez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlk8wGZQX7c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTQ6pBYRsk&feature=related

Alberto y Ester http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbtAx1qrQqE&feature=related

Roberto Leiva y Natacha Poberaj http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZ9_ywdIhQ

Finito http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlk8wGZQX7c&feature=related

Best regards, Sergio

>From Villa Urquiza

PS. I grew up with the nephews of Gerardo Portalea. They still live in the neighborhood. I learned a lot from Nito and from Lampazo.