[Tango-L] Fw: Re: Nuevo, Apilado... and marketing. The bottom line is always $$$

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Sat Jun 28 05:43:00 EDT 2008

> nuevo ... in some communities, it has become the de facto representation
> of social tango.
> it would be beneficial in the transmission of tango culture to have an
> accurate representation of the source of the culture. Otherwise, we are
> just ugly Americans, Europeans et al. adapting a foreign culture...

Europe?? Ron, I've never experienced or heard of a community in Europe
where nuevo is "the facto representation of social tango". In fact I can't
think of even one milonga in the major tango cities where nuevo is danced
by more than a small minority.

> You can't expect accurate evaluations of instructor competence in
> tango advertising. No one is going to advertise their limitations.

Agreed. That's surely why so many instructor couples hereabouts rarely
dance in the milongas, and if they do, only as a couple. In London there
are instructors who I've not seen on the dance floor even once during the
ten or so years I've been dancing/DJing here. I can believe they've found
it better for business to be judged on what they claim in their flyers.

> Susana Miller ...  http://www.tangodowntown.net/susanabio.html

"Clarin, the major Buenos Aires daily paper, called her one of the four
most important influences on contemporary tango..."

I've heard this is a fabrication. Does anyone actually have a copy of any
Clarin article that said this?

--
Chris