[Tango-L] Changes of direction - my take.

Melroy melroyr at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jun 22 20:09:27 EDT 2008

'Changes of direction' - my understanding.
This is something that is led and involves both partners.
You both travel in one direction then reverse the direction of travel of
both partners.
Usually this is brief and you resume the original direction, but of course
anything is possible.

For instance a change of direction I often use goes like this:

We travel in line of dance, I lead my partner slightly diagonal to line of
dance (slightly clockwise).
I am on her right side and move forward onto my right foot, she moves back
onto her left foot.
I pivot on my right foot (clockwise) and shift back onto my left (shorter
step).
At the same time leading her to pivot on her left and come around forward
onto her right.
She is now travelling forward (on my right side) and I am travelling back -
change of direction'.

I then lead her to pivot on her right foot (about 180 degrees) and then back
onto her left as I pivot on my left to come around onto my right foot, again
on her right side (or in line).
We have 'changed direction' again and have resumed the original line of
dance.

This is a continuous movement with the momentum from the first change used
to help the second change which involves a greater pivot for both partners.
The lead needs a shorter back step to allow the follower to come around.
These changes are like variations of the rock step but involving a pivot of
both partners.

There are many variations on changes of direction, they can be to either
side etc. You may use crossed or parallel or change from one to the other in
the middle. You can lead them from a sacada into an overturned ocho to start
with greater momentum etc.etc.

The change of direction I have described is fairly simple and doesn't need
to be known by the follower as long as they have good basic walking skills.
The leader's part is a bit harder in the second change as you need to pivot
back then come around forward in line with your partner, into line of dance
(as well as leading it all).
It's more complicated to explain than it is to do!

Of course I may be completely wrong about all this, but I am sure the list
will let me know about it.
Anyway it works for me.
Thanks, Mel (NZ).