[Tango-L] Homesick for Buenos Aires?

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 17:18:48 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 6:54 PM, larrynla at juno.com <larrynla at juno.com> wrote:
> Can you be homesick for a city you only visited a couple of weeks
> several years ago?  It seems you can.  I got tears in my eyes as I
> watched this video, and it seemed as if my heart hurt in my chest.
> In it a modern tango orchestra plays "El Huracan" and shows many
> photos of Buenos Aires.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mER-y8HK5g8
>
> Has it happened to any of you who have only visited the city?
>
> Larry de Los Angeles

This is a little different, but it shows the impact Buenos Aires can
have on you.

I remember the first time Susana and I went to Buenos Aires. It was
November 2003. We arrived on a Saturday, in the late afternoon. We had
a hotel on Corrientes, less than a block from El Obelisco. We were
planning to go to a milonga that evening, but still had time to take a
walk and explore the city. I grew up in New York City. Walking on
Corrientes reminded me of walking on the streets in midtown Manhattan.
There were people walking about, activity in the shops, cafes, and
theatres, Buenos Aires has so much activity, so much energy, just like
New York. I felt like I had found a home away from home. No other city
in the US has affected me this way. Buenos Aires has so much culture,
it is diverse, and people embrace it.

Every time I return to Buenos Aires, I feel like I'm coming home - an
adopted home, but a city that reminds me so much of the city of my
birth. So, yes, I get homesick when I'm away. The memories of my
visits always drive me to return. It isn't just about tango.Tango is
only part of the beauty of Buenos Aires.

Ron