[Tango-L] Milonga - youtube link to Jorge Nel

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:29:49 EDT 2008

Mel,

It is indeed a comedy routine - intended to entertain - which it does, judging from the crowd's reaction. But as I said, in between the showmanship, there is still lots of genuine milonga.

As to being off-rhythm, that's no doubt the well-known artifact of YouTube videos.

As to emulating, I hadn't figured this audience would need to be reminded to not socially copy the obvious gimmicks. I'd figured they could see the real milonga steps in between the grandstanding. Couldn't you? Check out some of Jorge's other YouTube videos that are more milonga and less performance. But I personally enjoyed the fun and playfulness of this one. I appreciate genuine milonga. I appreciate good showmanship. Jorge does both.

       TangoMoments.com