[Tango-L] Milongas of Buenos Aires - 2

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Wed Jun 4 17:06:57 EDT 2008

Several people have emailed me asking for the names of the milongas I
went to.  It was several years ago; I don't remember. The curious might
look at my writing web page for some specifics.  It has a link to a
diary of my visit, written when I got back home, and expanded from
daily posts to TANGO-L.

The diary does not include all my experiences. For instance, since I
was in the Hotel Bristol only a block away from Confiteria Ideal I
sometimes stopped by there two or three times a day for various
reasons, such as to meet someone. (Ideal is open every day of the week.
And I highly recommend el Bristol. It's inexpensive, centrally located,
and recently renovated to a high standard.)

http://www.hotelbristol.com.ar/english/home.htm

I also did not mention the non-tango dance places I went to, such as
the night-club with a goth-looking crowd out front. Which I found out
when I got inside was for gays of both sexes looking to hook up. Before
I could escape two French women asked me to sit with them to ask me
about Los Angeles, where they were going next.

http://larrydla.home.att.net/writing.html

_____________________EXCERPTS FROM TANGO DIARY_________________________
I open the window and look out. The tops of buildings show even less
care than their fronts. The people, however, bely that overall
impression. The economy may be depressed, but the people do not seem to
be. This Sunday afternoon they are out in the streets, strolling, busy,
seemingly happy and full of energy. They are all ages and sexes,
casually but often very nicely dressed. Perhaps Paris was very like
this a few years after WW2.

The bed is comfortable. After settling in I crash, leaving the window
open for a cool, light breeze. When I wake at 3:00 in the afternoon I
feel amazingly good. I clean up, dress, go downstairs, excited at my
first free moments in Buenos Aires. I put my valuables in the safe at
the lobby then go outside. There is sun coming through the clouds and
the temperature is perfect. Just walking outside onto the sidewalk is
thrilling. I am here!

Across the street is a little convenience store. I buy just a snack and
a drink, though I am very hungry. I am eager to see the city. I go a
half block East, walk North on Nueve de Julio. This street is so wide
(20 or more lanes, a full city block in width) that it is like walking
in a canyon. The cool breeze rushes down 9 de Julio, ruffles my hair,
bathes my face, just as it would in a desert canyon.

Larry de Los Angeles