[Tango-L] Nuevo lead and follow and repressed teaching

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 01:21:15 EDT 2008

 > What people think of as "nuevo" isn't really entirely new. Perhaps
we should some up with a term other than
 > "nuevo" like "post-nuevo" (sort of like modern architecture was in
the 1940's and then came post-modern).

They movement vocabulary associated with tango nuevo dancing is not
really new at all. The main thing that separates what people now are
calling "nuevo" from what people are calling "traditional" is that
more things are permitted in nuevo. Dress code, embrace code, and feet
on the floor code are all subverted in tango nuevo.

As has been mentioned before many times, the main things that are
transmitted by so-called "tango nuevo" teachers are not so much the
figures as the teaching methods and approaches to practicing. ( I
think one of the clearest posts on this ambiguous term called "tango
nuevo" is by Tom Stermitz : http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2005/msg00035.html
  )

I agree that "tango nuevo" is a misleading name. For a descriptive
purpose, I think it is more accurate to label  styles according to
place (e.g., ballroom/salon, street/canyengue, club, suburban/orilla,
west coast) or according to originator/propagator (Susana Miller,
Fabian Salas).

To label types of dancing as the traditional and the new tends to be
reductive and subjective.