[Tango-L] Styles of Tango

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 16:32:00 EDT 2008

Huck,

> So almost by definition, close-embrace is a much more socially-
> oriented dance than nuevo.

It appears that your "definition" of close embrace is, somehow,
dancing so that it is physically impossible to see your partner and
the dance floor.

Is that because close embrace dancers dance with their eyes closed? I
have noticed that among self-described close embrace dancers, but I
didn't realize it was de rigueur.

And "nuevo" dancing implies that you look down and ogle your partner's
outfit. Can't say that I've noticed the ogling part. But, my eyes are
getting old.

Now that tango has evolved into two types, close embrace and nuevo,
all that remains is for everyone to choose a side and declare their
allegiance.

Which would be simplified if we would all just admit what everyone is
already thinking: "close embrace" means good dancing, and "nuevo"
means bad dancing.

Is there anyone out there who self identifies as a "nuevo" ?

Didn't think so.