[Tango-L] Nuevo lead and follow

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 14:45:04 EDT 2008

Jack Dylan wrote
>But they appear to be figures that both of the couple must know. If the lady
>doesn't know how to dance Volcadas and Colgadas, they cannot be led by the man.

Related to my point about nuevo consisting of "elements", if a follow doesn't understand being tipped even while
being lead (supported with suspension) to do so, she won't get it.  If she doesn't understand how to follow the energy
of the lead, she will miss the sweep, as well as linear boleos, etc....  Nuevo follows don't have to know any figures, but
they do need the technique that allows them to hear and respond to the tiny elements that are part of nuevo.  How is
this any different from expecting your follow to wait, to not shuffle her feet unlead, etc.?

Yes it does require the both the lead and follow have a whole additional set of skills, but it does not require that they
have any figures in common.

Cheers

David