[Tango-L] Dancing socially to Piazzolla

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 03:01:17 EDT 2008

> But I think that a problem with a lot of today's tango
> groups is that they don't have any idea what it means to play for
> dancing.

I think the problem of musicians not having an idea of what it is like to play for dancers is less and less of an issue every year.  I have not really encountered that problem, though that doesn't mean I like everything every live band plays.  Heck, I don't like all of the Golden Age stuff, either.

If a community wants to develop their live music scene, then a great way to go, I think, is through the music departments of the local universities.  Actually, three of the four local groups here started pretty independently with graduate students at one university who were introduced to tango by one means or another.  Most of the musicians had jazz and classical backgrounds.  All have been very receptive to feedback as to how danceable their music is.  They are always excited to see how dancers react to their music.  When they do play something that is undanceable, they are always aware of it and will introduce the piece differently.  Personally, I'm excited by the changes I've seen in the live tango scene over the past few years.  It's something to celebrate.

Trini de Pittsburgh