[Tango-L] Is tango sexy?

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Tue Jul 22 15:54:46 EDT 2008

Jack Dylan writes ---------> Larry, are you suggesting that tango is
NOT sexy? I can dance with a lady who might be middle-aged and 20
pounds overweight. But if she really knows how to tango, man, when
she's in my tange embrace, she's the sexiest woman alive! :-)

Erh, Jack, your ideas of unsexy and mine obviously are different -
"middle-aged and 20 pounds overweight" just about defines sexy woman to
me!  And who says what's overweight?

But I get your point.  Some people when they dance almost become
different people - or show a side of themselves they often do not show
in public.

But there's a deeper question here, more than your or my tastes. Is
tango itself sexy?

No.  Tango dancing is just a bunch of ideas and techniques and rules of
how to dance, and each person has their own collection and variations
of those memes.

For instance, a caricia in tango is when someone uses their thigh,
ankle, or foot to caress their partner. If the most repulsive person in
the world (according to your own personal definition) caresses you, is
that sexy? Unless you are masochistic, the answer is NO. It would be
stomach-turning.

Sexy is not a quality of a dance or a dance move. It's a quality of a
person. And not just an innate quality. It depends on the context. Is
she doing it because she loves/likes/lusts for me? Or is she setting me
up for her pimp/boyfriend to rob and maybe kill me? Well, OK, maybe
some guys would be extra-turned on by the danger, but that's part of
the point.

Tango can be used to seduce and to seduce back. Of course other dances
can too. Any swing dancers here? Salsa dancers? You know what I mean.
In by-gone days the waltz was used to devastating effect by seducers
(and sometimes still is).

But what is unique to tango is its range and flexibility of expressing
emotion. So it certainly can be used to seduce.

But many people miss an important point when they talk about how sexy
tango dancers can be. Tango can also be used to express other emotions.

So if we use the word "is" to mean "can be used to express", tango IS
sexy.  And tango is sad, and happy, and full of rage, and exuberant,
and funny, and full of sorrow at a loved one's death. Tango is the
entire rainbow of feeling.

Larry de Los Angeles