[Tango-L] Dancing socially to Piazzolla

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Tue Jul 22 11:09:07 EDT 2008

Piazzolla is socially danceable, but only by dancers with a deep
knowledge of music and very high skill levels.  I've seen a couple of
couples do it well.

You both have to have very high level lead and follow skills.  You have
to be very familiar with the particular piece of music from listening to
it a lot.  You have to have a lot of experience dancing with that
partner.  And you have music experience at the level of someone who is a
musician, and you need to be very improvisational.  I personally have
met around a dozen dancers who have this.

As to whether or not Piazzolla wanted Piazzolla's music to be danced to:
it's common now for composers and musicians to avoid making danceable
music.  The development of jazz made the individual performers'
improvisational explorations the raison d'etre of contemporary music.  A
lot of musicians feel that accommodating dancers constrains their
creativity and limits their own intellectual enjoyment of the live music
experience.  It also takes the spotlight off them, the rest of the crowd
always watches the dancers rather than the stage.

Not all musicians feel this way.  In 2003 the Roger Humphries Big Band
stood up after their first set and put down their horns and gave a
ballroom full of dancers a standing ovation.  The speaker for the band
had been a young musician in the 40's in New York when the music was
originally composed.  He said that he was overcome with nostalgia --
they had all forgotten what it was like to see the music of Ellington
and Count Basie alive rather than dead.  His approximate words were "we
want to thank you because without a roomful of dancers we forget how
alive this music is.  You are listening to us and anticipating how we
are going to play, and we are listening to you by watching you.  It's as
if we are watching ourselves.  You are changing how we play and how we
want to play in the next minute.  We are not playing to you, we are
playing with you, and you are playing with us.  It's as if the music
came out of our horns and got feet and a mind of its own and is moving
around the dance floor teasing us to run after it."

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC