[Tango-L] Gender Roles in Tango

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Sat Jul 19 17:31:52 EDT 2008

Rather than going back through that loop of passionate discussion on the
proper use of the words "Argentine Tango"....

If we're talking about a fellow following or a lady leader (with a
partner of whatever gender) why not call that dance Ognat Enitnegra?
Then we'll all know what we're talking about and we won't need to battle
over the semantics of which words can and cannot be used to describe a
particular partner arrangement.

Some listmembers can then declare passionately against the dancing of
ognat enitnegra as blaspheming something dear to their heart, and/or say
they would never dance ognat enitnegra no matter what and would
discriminate against known ognat enitnegra dancers in any future
Argentine Tango® dancing opportunities.  Others can enthusiastically
embrace ognat enitnegra and say that it is a groovy thing and they love
to dance it and everyone who doesn't dance it won't become a good dancer
of Argentine Tango® or anything else, and/or that non-dancers of ognat
enitnegra have psychological or cultural hangups.  Still others can
point out that this list is technically not for ognat enitnegra and that
ognat enitnegra is off-topic and that ognat enitnegra dancers should get
their own list.  But whether the discussion goes positive or negative,
we'll all know exactly what we're discussing, and nobody's relationship
to the phrase "Argentine Tango®" will be offended.

Hopefully the phrase 'ognat enitnegra' does not belong to anyone's
cultural patrimony and it would therefore offend no one.  It's certainly
not as mellifluous!  And of course in Spanish it would properly be
'ognat onitnegra'.  I particularly like the '-negra' bit, it's a tip of
the hat to the dramatic black garb of which we are all so
enamorado/a/os/as.

A modest proposal.

CS