[Tango-L] Will close embrace go the way of the dinosaur?

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 14:20:30 EDT 2008

My 2c:

First, as has been pointed out before, "close-embrace" and "nuevo" are not opposites. Nuevo is a way of analyzing the embrace, lead, and step possibilities. Some of the unique steps that have been developed through this analysis form the repertoire of modern, often young, dancers who are said to be dancing "nuevo style". Many of these steps and patterns are challenging or impossible in a close-embrace frame. They can only be done in an open or at least a flexible frame. So if a dancer wants to push the envelope of investigation into steps that the nuevo analysis suggests, then an open embrace gives them the most possibilities and creative opportunities. But there is a lot of cross-over in the categories, and there are other steps that might be considered nuevo that can easily be done in close embrace.

Second, I agree completely that the connection is the most important element. But just because a couple is dancing open/nuevo doesn't mean they have no connection. Watch Homer and Christina in person. Their connection is obvious and deep. So it is possible to have a great connection, even in an open embrace. For me, though, the hug of a close embrace can create a connection a lot more directly, and short of dancing with a mate/partner, I've never had as deep a connection in open embrace as I've had in close embrace.

Third, your question, is close embrace doomed: I'd say no way. In fact, as the popularity of tango increases, and venues get more crowded, close embrace will almost be a requirement. But even more than that, the exquisite pleasure of a deep connection in a heart-to-heart hug is a drug that, once experienced, creates a demand for more. That said, it does require a comfortableness with one's body that often isn't present in young people. But as they age and mature, they may find a deeper appreciation for the simple pleasure of a hug.

      TangoMoments.com