[Tango-L] How to NOT have to use her body... ?

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Wed Jan 30 05:30:09 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 11:34:39AM -0800, Mario wrote:
>  I would like to ask if there is any exercise that
>
>  a lead can perform alone that would help develop
>
>  balance and axis to avoid the above problem?
>
>  I say 'alone' because I practise alone..it's often
>
>  very difficult to find a practise partner.
>
>  thanks!

A question on something that I am passionate about.

Whenever and I mean whenever I am standing still I am standing on one leg only. Waiting for the tube, buying a sandwhich, brushing my teeth... I always try to ground myself on a single leg only and relax the heel of my other leg (collected heels/ankles with a slight v.)

Also I am starting to get into a mental habit of calling each leg in my head. Left,right,left,right this way I makes sure that my weight is never over both feet.

Walking; I do a lot of this since I don't drive.
I feel the most beautiful walking in Tango is when one extends and then transfers weight. With this in mind I actually try and do this (subtly, no extensions) as I walk down the street. It is almost impossible to do it without looking weird but if you are out on your own it is a good challenge.

Balance, I wish I had more time to practise this but I do as much as I can.

Literally extend your leg, making sure your shoulders and hips are in line (don't lean backwards) transfer your weight and then bring you other leg through your axis and extended forward but don't transfer your weight yet, pause, then transfer then extend the other leg forward, pause, then with the same leg extend backwards, pause and transfer and step backwards. Basically you get the idea. 2 steps forward, 2 steps back.

I am really trying to get myself into the habit of grounding a single leg only and really working on balance. I believe this will translate into a more stable and clear lead. Also giving my partner the ability to trust my axis at all times.

'Mash
London, UK